Monday, September 1, 2008

I love cool lighting




Finally, I have a place to profess my love for LED lighting! The ability to take light and reduce it down to a single low wattage unit of light is, to me, a fantastic thing. Sure the old LEDs have been around forever, but the new LEDs with their variety of colours and they way they're being used nowadays is the great thing. Once again, it's not what you have but what you do with it!

As far as how this fits into my blog theme, well, I think it's a perfect fit. After all, the social connection between a person and a brand does not start and end with a brochure or a website. Many of today's purchases still occur in the good old fashioned shop. Don't forget that a high percentage of purchasing decisions are made only once the person steps into the shop - having an environment so close to the purchase point that is engaging and tells a story about a brand is not a nice-to-have but a must.

LEDs, while they may not be able to tell a story, sure are engaging if you use them right. One of my favourite blogs, MAKE: blog got me onto the sensacell and their innovative way of using LED lighting. Check this out...



But of course, I can't just limit my undying love of light to LEDs. While they've been a hot thing for a while now, mostly because of the ease of application and the ease of modification, there's plenty of other cool lighting out there to engage people with. The Science Gallery in Dublin recently hosted the LIGHTWAVE exhibition and the amount of cool light applications was astounding (wish I wasn't on the other side of the planet!).

No comments: